Sunday, October 23, 2011

Information overload!!!!!

Wow! I am overwhelmed by the amount of information I received in then short period of time we were together! It will certainly take some tome to process it all in order to use it wisely.
While listening to the law presentation on Friday night I felt right at home. My husband has been a county prosecutor for most of our married life so law talk is familiar to me. Now my daughter is interning at SSSA in CUSD so lots of our conversations are about educational law. I found myself comparing what I know about criminal law with what was being presented to us in educational law. A little mind boggling! The challenges we face in the schools with the technology that is changing daily are enormous. I am more than concerned with the availability of cell phones, etc. and the ease with which our young people can use these electronically devices to achieve not so desirable things. Cyber bullying and stalking are a reality for all ages and certainly do affect the students in our schools.
My key learning from Dr.Hauser included the time it should involve to prepare for a meeting and the detailed information that should be included in the agenda. This os something I will incorporate immediately into my leadership roles in different places. What a great presentation and very useful!
Dr. Torosian's presentation confirmed knowledge gained and hilt on what I know a out expulsion. What an important job he has and what. Difference he can make in lives. His closing remarks were true and to betaken to heart. We have the power to change lives in building relationships!
FRISK! I have been in supervisory positions in other fields and personnel issues are always difficult. There is no way to make it easy. Sticking to the facts and having evidence is the best practice.
Change, yes as Dr.Buster shared it is hard but it is necessary. And oh how voting life would be without it! I love to learn and fry new things which often gets me into trouble with my colleagues but the responsibility I have as a teacher to provide the best possible education for each student is large and serious one. To do the best we must always be looking and learning new information. It is certainly messy and chaotic from time to time but a necessary part of our lives as leaders in education.

4 comments:

  1. Marci,
    You're right. It is amazing how cell phones can disrupt the learning process. They have become a nuisance when dealing with bullying and as promoters for fights. I don't think we were prepared for this phenomenon. Dr. Hauser's presentation on agendas was great and I also appreciated Dr. Torosian's attitude about doing what is right for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only are cell phones an issue about bullying, they increase the amount of cheating on tests. I have to constantly be checking students hands and faces to make sure they are not using them to share answer, take pictures of questions, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it was a lot of information to soak in. Good stuff to prepare us for future leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the info was very useful but a lot to process at one time!

    ReplyDelete