Sunday, November 6, 2011

Personnel, Finances and listening...

It was quite a mix of topics during our last class sessions together! The human resource panel on Friday night did not really bring any new information but new perceptions about responsibilities of a school administrator. What has stuck with me throughout all of the classes because it was said by all of our professors is that you better make sure you hire the right people and if it turns out they aren't the right one don't be afraid to let them go before they are tenured! Do the right thing and take your time-check references and talk to them both formally and informally!
I thought the session with the CADA presenters was informative and well done. It kept my interest and caused me to self examine my behaviors when in a discussion- do I take time to listen or am I always needing to jump in and say something? I am a strong believer in involvement for students not only does it increase their academics but it keeps them off the street and out of trouble!
I have to admit that the thought of hearing about budget and finance for the entire day on Saturday did not really excite me! But I was surprised at how interesting it was to learn about the many facets of finance and budget within the public school system. I appreciated hearing about the history of how we get funding (and yes I did vote on prop 13 back in 1978-that is how old I am) and what the current laws are and how the "trigger" will affect us all. It is a sad note that K-12 education is the place that takes the biggest cuts and gets the most criticism. I also appreciated Dr. Bradley's insights on what a Superintendent expects from his principals and what a principal could expect from the superintendent.
There is much to absorb and consider when putting in an application for an administrative position. Even with all this great information the bottom line is we must always do what is best for kids, no matter what it takes. We can each make a huge difference in the students, families, and colleagues in our lives! What an awesome responsibility and a great challenge there is for us today and in the future!
I am sad that we have had our last face to face meeting in the Clovis cohort! I have enjoyed being a part of this family and wish everyone the beat! I will miss learning from each of you?

3 comments:

  1. I completely forgot to include CADA in my reflection! I also enjoyed the listening activity and getting to meet other people in our class. I also really liked the reflection on reading the importance of co-curricular activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marci,

    Just wanted to say, I'm excited about our new friendship we've built through our cohort! Glad we will get to grow together in these leadership roles that we will take on in the years to come!

    Tif

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany- Me too! I am glad to have anew friend to emil and stay in touch with!

    ReplyDelete